Follow these 10 basic rules for a good night's sleep, advises Dr. Bruno DiCosmo, a sleep specialist and pulmonologist. Dr. DiCosmo directs WESTMED’s Sleep Center at 33 Davis Avenue, White Plains.
1) Sleep only as much as you need to feel rested and then get out of bed
2) Keep a regular sleep schedule. Set alarm to wake up at the same time every day, including
weekends. Do not nap.
3) Avoid forcing sleep. You should spend no more than 20 minutes lying in bed trying to fall
asleep. Get up and pursue a relaxing activity in another room, such as reading.
4) Exercise regularly for at least 20 minutes, preferably 4-5 hours before bedtime
5) Avoid caffeinated beverages after lunch.
6) Avoid alcohol the last four hours of the day.
7) Avoid smoking, especially in the evening.
8) Do not go to bed hungry.
9) Adjust bedroom environment (light, noise, temperature) so that you are comfortable before
you lie down.
10) Deal with your worries before bedtime.
11) Don’t watch TV or read in bed.
Please consider a consultation with a sleep disorders specialist if a trial of improving your sleep habits does not work.