WESTMED Medical Group is a rapidly growing, financially strong, physician-owned and managed multi-specialty group practice under the leadership of Simeon Schwartz, MD, President and CEO, and Barney Newman, MD, Medical Director. Founded in 1996, it is staffed by a team of over 250 physicians and approximately 1,000 employees.
The practice is dedicated to its mission of improving the health of the community by providing coordinated, efficient and quality patient care in central and lower Westchester County. The practice uses state-of-the-art systems and electronic medical records to help it meet this mission.
There are 9 WESTMED office locations: in White Plains, Rye, Westchester’s Ridge Hill in Yonkers, Purchase, Scarsdale, and in New Rochelle.
Awards and Recognition
WESTMED has received numerous honors and recognitions for its effective integration of high-efficiency business practices and cutting-edge technologies to continually improve coordinated healthcare delivery to the community. The practice is recognized by NCQA for the following programs:
- Level 3 Medical Home, the highest achievable level
- Heart/Stroke Recognition Program
- Diabetes Recognition Program
- Physicians Practice Connections
- Physician Organization Certification
Other WESTMED Facts at a Glance
- We were early adopters of electronic medical records in 2002, making possible coordination of patient care among our primary physicians and specialists. Communication within the practice can take place instantaneously and electronically.
- We have a patient portal on our Web site called My WESTMED. This gives patients a way to get in touch with their physicians through secure e-mails, to view their lab results and other medical information, schedule appointments and pay bills.
- We offer our patients electronic prescribing.
- Also, we have addressed the need for seven-day-a-week access to care. We have opened four Urgent Care Centers—in White Plains, in Rye, in Yonkers at Ridge Hill--that provide a high level of immediate response 7 days a week. These Centers are open from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. weekdays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekends. They have the diagnostic capabilities of a hospital, including general X-ray, CT scan and laboratory testing. We opened a 4th Urgent Care Center in New Rochelle in April 2012.
- WESTMED’s affiliates also operate the Rye Ambulatory Surgery Center at 1 Theall Road, Rye, with a full range of outpatient surgical services.